We're Not In Pine Brook Anymore

new york looks prettiest from new jersey

It's not natural to celebrate the death of a person. 

And yet, I'm finding myself torn between cheers and tears after the President's announcement tonight that Bin Laden is dead, and we've got his body to prove it. 

No more running.  No more hiding.  No one could deserve it more.

In NYC, I can hear people outside singing God Bless America as I type this, and news reports have shown huge crowds gathering down by Ground Zero, Times Square, and outside the White House well into the night. Too many years later, justice has been done.

As a person who's life was directly touched by 9/11 in more ways than I care to count, this news stirs up a host of emotions that I prefer to keep hidden.  But my deepest gratitude goes out to our brave military for the sacrifices they make each and every day. My heartfelt sympathy goes out to anyone who experienced a tragic loss on that beautiful September morning.  And my sincere prayers go out to whoever is listening that this marks the end of an unthinkable nighmare, not the beginning of a new one.

I know I don't generally blog about anything serious.  Just had to say something here.


tags: city life, politics
Share/Bookmark

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen!

Kevin said...

As always, you're right on teh money. Thought this was appropriate too, from Gawker, who said it far better than I ever could:

"...if there is ever a time when we should give ourselves license to surrender to our animal selves and dance on the grave of an enemy, this is it...Osama bin Laden is a moral monster of the highest order, with gallons of blood on his hands, and he earned his fate in spades."
http://gawker.com/#!5797732/sometimes-a-little-bloodlust-is-in-order

Caroline M. said...

I agree it feels strange to celebrate this news, but I am 100% certain that the world is a better place without OBL in it. You don't get to orchestrate the murder 3,000 innocent people on their way to work and expect to get away with it. Justice has been served indeed.

I posted this quote to my Facebook status. Perhaps people reading this blog would like to do the same....

"I've never wished a man dead, but I have read some obituaries with great pleasure." -Mark Twain

Anonymous said...

To Caroline M., fan of quotes:

"I will mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.

chris said...

Jen I totally get what you're saying here and I totally agree. Thanks for posting it.

Jenny From The 'Brook said...

Thanks, all.