Archives by Year: 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021 | 2022 | 2023

9/10/2017

Back to School

Sorry...I went on a little writing hiatus.  But I'm back!

Let's get caught up: I turned 44. I miss Coke Zero. I liked Ozark, but didn't love it.  I'm psyched about Amazon & Whole Foods.  North Korea is giving me hives. Irma gave me 100 gray hairs. And I'm pissed Equifax leaked all our data.

Ok?  Ok.

So it's been a minute since I've been a student.  Or 11,563,200 minutes, but who's counting?

I was recently asked to give some advice to a graduating high school senior.  Over the years, I've given a lot of advice to students graduating college, but this was a first.

Oh, and she was born in 2000.  Just let that soak in for a minute...

Anyway, when I think about my own experience at her age, I was a pretty serious about school.  I was decently popular, but I do feel like I missed out on life because I was so wrapped up being the perfect student and daughter.

I was in mostly honors and AP classes.  I made the National Honor Society.  I tracked my grade point average down to the hundredth of a decimal point.  I kept a list of every book I ever read.  I graduated in the top 10% of my class.  I did well on my SATs, was accepted early decision to college, and started with a few credits in the bag because of my scores on the AP English test.  I never cut school, never drank, never snuck out at night.  I lived a very G-rated life.

College was a different story.

I didn't go crazy, but I definitely relaxed.  A lot.  Pretty early on I realized I didn't have to work all that hard and I'd still get grades of the A and B (and occasionally C) variety.

I worked my way into the classes I wanted so my roommate and I could have the same schedule (that was back when nothing was online so you could tell the professor that the registrar signed you up and tell the registrar that the professor signed you up -- and no one was the wiser).  I went to class regularly, but didn't study much.  I wrote every paper the night before it was due.  I slept through a French final (and still somehow got a B).  We went out 4 nights a week.  At least.

And I did just fine.

I graduated college with a 3.45.  Looking back, I wish I pushed myself just a tiiiny bit to make Dean's List at 3.5.

But I'm sure there was a happy medium between my high school and college self.  So when it came time to give that advice, here's what I said:

  • Go to class -- seriously, just go. It's why you're there. And you won't have to study as hard if you just listen and take notes.
  • Use the buddy system -- college is so much easier to navigate with a friend.
  • Figure it out -- you are in a giant safety net, use this time to learn what you like and what you don't about school, subjects, activities, relationships & life.
  • Be smart -- nothing is private and social media lives forever, so watch what you say and do or your parents will disown you and no one will hire you when you graduate. Kidding.  (Not really.)
  • Take naps -- preschool and college are the only times this is acceptable until you're 70, enjoy it.


So, how'd I do?  What would YOU have said?  Give me some advice below...


tags: jersey, rants


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good advice! I would add that you don't know what you don't know so don't think you have to know it all.