By now, I’m sure you’ve seen that note zipping around Facebook asking for 25 random things about yourself. I’ve decided to list mine here instead. If you read this blog, you probably know many of these things, but hopefully there’s a surprise or two in the mix…
1) I organize my refrigerator.
2) I don’t eat eggs under any circumstances. That means nothing scrambled, poached, fried, over easy, or hard boiled. I just say no to bacon, egg, and cheese sandwiches and eggs benedict. No frittatas or quiches either – they are just fancy egg pies. No way, no how. No eggs. Ever.
3) I don’t drink coffee. Not for health reasons at all. Just don’t like it.
4) I have two recurring nightmares: 1) that I can’t graduate college because I skipped all my classes, and 2) that I’m giving a presentation and all my teeth start falling out of my head and bounce around on the table like Chiclets.
5) I watch more reality television than any professional, thinking, college graduate should. Or should admit to.
6) I have now started lying about my age when filling out surveys because I can’t accept that I’m no longer in the 18-34 bracket.
7) I wrote a book called “29” (truthfully, a 280-page manuscript that hopes one day to grow up to become a published novel), in real-time from my 29th birthday until the day I turned 30, and it’s now collecting dust in a drawer.
8) I started this blog to help me get back into the habit writing and get up the strength to rework my manuscript because all of my pop culture references are now hopelessly out of date and I’m now closer to 40 than I am to 30. (And typing that just made me throw up a little in my mouth.)
9) I have less teeth in my mouth than the average adult. As a kid, my dentist used to pull them 2 and 3 at a time (mostly baby teeth, I don't look like a jack-o-lantern) to make more room because I have a tiny jaw and big horse teeth. And then he would put them on a string and make me wear them home like a necklace. Sick dude, huh?
10) I was bitten by a dog when I was 7 and chased by a dog when I was 9, so I’m not really a pet person. But if I had to choose, I prefer dogs over cats, hands down. Go figure.
11) I was a cheerleader in college, but don’t get too excited – it was only one year and it was for basketball.
12) I also hosted a radio show with my college roommate. That was more legit – for 3 years. We’d play our own CDs and read issues of Glamour on-air. I even think we had a few listeners.
13) I was responsible for reading Danielle Steel’s fan mail in my first publishing job. You’d be surprised how many prisoners write to her.
14) I read about 2 books per week when I worked in book publishing. In the 9 years since I left that industry, I feel like I read two books a year. And I feel kind of guilty about it.
15) I like my entertainment good and fluffy. Tear-jerkers, talking heads, sci-fi, and police procedurals need not apply.
16) I don’t rent DVDs -- I buy every movie I want to see because I don’t like the fingerprints and scratch marks on rentals.
17) I organize the money in my wallet, with the bills all facing the same direction in denominational order. Anything less is just chaos.
18) I have a state quarter book. And I love it. It’s taken 10 years to fill, and I am still looking for an Arizona to complete my collection.
19) I always wear socks to bed, even in the summer.
20) I am afraid of the dark – I sleep with a light and the television on all night.
21) I’m a chronic snoozer, sometimes I’ll hit it for an entire hour instead of just sleeping longer.
22) I hate talking on the phone. There’s only 3 people in my life that I actually enjoy calling. I’m not telling who they are, but one of them definitely reads this blog, one might read this blog, and one doesn’t even know what a blog is.
23) I once went to American Idol tryouts at Giants Stadium with the Travelocity Roaming Gnome. It was for work – seriously. He really wanted to belt out Celine Dion’s, “My Heart Will Go On.”
24) I don’t like strangers, which makes online dating a particular challenge.
25) I still believe there’s a guy out there somewhere who will adore me because of -- not in spite of -- my (many, MANY) quirks.
26) My first concert was Rick Springfield when I was 10.
See anything I missed?