Archives by Year: 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021 | 2022 | 2023

3/07/2011

Love (x2)

Nearly 2 years ago, I became an aunt for the very first time to my niece, Grace Elizabeth. And from the second that little pink munchkin rolled down the hallway at Bridgeport Hospital, I've been totally smitten.

Love at first sight.

About 2 weeks ago, I became an aunt for a second time, now to a little boy named Thomas John. And I've fallen instantly in love. Again.

One of the things I'm getting a kick out of are the differences between them.

Gracie is a bundle of curiosity and personality. She has her own mind (even if I can only understand about 28% of what she says). One minute, you can see her wheels turning, trying to make sense that the "Tommy" we've all been pointing to in her mom's tummy is now the little meatball on her lap. The next, she's scooting around the house with her pink and purple shopping cart, while coloring on papers (and occasionally tables), and eating yogurt/applesauce/mushy chicken, and reading 17 books. Upside down.

She's a total riot. And a ham. And an awful lot like her Aunt Jenny at that age. Or so I'm told.

Tommy, from what I've observed so far, is such a boy. I can totally see his sister when I look at his sweet face, but with darker hair, a more olive complexion, and meatier hands. He's mellow and thoughtful. Can babies be deep in thought? If so, he is. He sleeps mostly right now, but when he does open those big blue peepers, you can actually see that he's taking in the world around him. He seems satisfied with everything, then drifts back off to dreamland.

Perfectly content.

No matter the chaos swirling around, he's just chillin' the most. Except for when he's hungry. Just like his dad.

I truly can't wait to see what awesome people they grow up to be. But one of the things I'm most looking forward to (besides NOT cheating at Uno with them), is watching their relationship develop with each other. As playmates. As tattle-tales. As co-conspirators. And ultimately, as best friends.

I have NO idea what's in store for me in the kid department. There was a long period of time where I thought I might never have the opportunity to be a parent. Then, for a brief moment, I was absolutely certain I would. Now, who knows? But I feel so very blessed to have these little ones in my life.

They are pure joy.

Here's hoping each of you has a little joy in your life too!


tags: family

4 comments:

chris said...

congrats auntie! beautiful babies! :)

Anonymous said...

Awe, congratulations!!

Kevin said...

I'm sure you are a great aunt and you WILL be a great mom too.

Jenny From The 'Brook said...

Thanks guys!