As you know, I started the year completely bummed about turning 40.
40?!? Yes, 40. Sigh...
Looking back, I spent most of this year focused (obsessed?) on what I didn't have: a dream job, a husband, kids, a home. It's not that I wanted to cling to my 30's -- trust me, they were crappy, I'm happy to see them go.
I just wanted to feel like I've accomplished something in 40 years!
The good news is that in the past 8 months, I've been able to cross at least ONE big thing off this wishlist. It's not the home. Or the husband. Or the kids. (Please, contain your shock). It's the job. I got a new one, which I'm totally loving.
Anyway, I chose not to have a big bday bash, in favor of a series of small get-togethers with many of the people I love most. Maybe even YOU!
If this birthday month has taught me anything at all, it's that I'm very blessed.
Here's what 40 gave to me:
- 11 mini-celebrations with family, new friends, and old friends who feel like family
- 4 more parties to go
- 7 little munchkins who have brought more joy to my life than I ever thought possible
- 5 surprise greetings that made my day
- 4 gorgeous pieces of jewelry
- 3 bouquets of pretty flowers
- 2 homemade cards from the cutiepies pictured above
- 1 show with a Broadway legend and a best friend
- 1 friendship bracelet from my favorite almost 10-year old
- 1 birthday greeting from a Chase ATM (honestly, that one was weird)
- 1 very special bag named Louis, a gift I gave to myself
You know the drill...
Here's what I now believe: every wrinkle is a smile, every gray hair reminds me I'm too smart to make the same mistakes twice, and every extra pound is a great meal shared with someone I love.
I'm a lucky girl. A thousand thanks for making my birthday happy!