Archives by Year: 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021 | 2022 | 2023

8/03/2023

The One Where Jen Turns 50

Today marks half a century in the rearview mirror. 

Wow.

For months, I've tried really hard to embrace this new decade. But like "fetch," it just isn't happening. 

Presents would make it better, right? So, I toyed with buying myself something fancy, like another designer handbag or a diamond tennis bracelet or a new car. 

Would these things bring me joy? Maybe for a minute.

Then, I got a crazy idea. 

I made a time capsule, overflowing with things I've adored through the decades. Each piece unlocked a merry memory -- Muppets and Barbies, Mad Libs and Legos, Puzzles and Pez, Gilmores and Friends. 

And I topped it all off with a DIY 5-tier "cake" full of my favorite candies. Pop Rocks, Nerds AND Whatchamacallits? 

I'm in heaven!

Now THESE things brought me joy. But what really warmed my heart was the flurry of flowers, balloons, chocolates, jewelry and sweet notes that my friends and family sent.

This birthday has been full of blessings. I'm one lucky girl.

I have to say, 50 doesn't really feel like I thought it would. In my mind, I'm 27. In my body, I'm 72! And on this big day, I feel like I should share the little lessons I've learned along the way... 

Here are 5 things I know:

The Golden Rule is as important today as it ever was. 
Treat others as you want to be treated. Move through this world with kindness and grace. It's really as simple as that.

Be generous with your time, money and attention.
I love pretty stuff, but what feeds my soul is time spent with my loved ones. There's never ever enough of that. Helping someone who needs it feels pretty great too. Or really being present in the moment, focused on what I'm doing or who I'm with -- unplugged and plugged in -- feels like a luxury I need to do more. 

Friends are about quality over quantity.
They say we have friends for a reason, for a season or for a lifetime. And nothing beats lifelong friends who knew you back when and love you no matter what.  I met my 5 best friends between the ages of 7 and 18, and we can not talk, text or see eachother for months, even years, and then pick right back up as if no time has passed at all, laughing at old memories and making new ones. That is a gift. 

Get comfortable in your own skin.
It's not about giving zero efs for what others think. It's about a confident belief in who YOU are. Owning your values, your likes, your quirks, your strengths and weaknesses. You can't force that process, you have to ease into it like a La-z-boy.

Everything happens for a reason.
We all know life is uncertain. Call it faith or karma or intuition, but I believe the universe sends you signs when you're on the right path, or the wrong one. So listen up.


And just like the birthday candles on my cheesecake, here's one more to grown on...

Don't sweat the small stuff.
Easier said than done, so I'll be working on it as I enter this new decade. I hope I'm off to a good start because I do find myself caring less about trivial things.  Like if you want to leave your Xmas decorations up all year long, knock yourself out! Or if you don't return your shopping cart to the store, so be it! (Just don't park near me.) Or if you put the toilet paper on the roll the wrong way... 

Nope, no. Actually, that still really bugs the crap out of me.

I guess some things don't change.

Okay, so maybe I'm making peace with this new decade. Now, the new problem with turning 50 is that 60 comes next!

Yikes. Good thing I have candy.

No comments: