Archives by Year: 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021 | 2022 | 2023

4/22/2011

Peeps Be With You

It’s Good Friday, and I’ve been pretty good this Lent, if I do say so myself. I only accidentally ate meat one day when a sandwich with chicken, ham, AND bacon just fell into my mouth (when I go, I go big).

I’m really glad I don’t live anywhere near a Denny’s. While McDonald's and Wendy's are busy peddling fish sandwiches, Denny's Baconalia festival is waving an unbelievable temptation right under our snouts.  Who among us could resist a bacon sundae? 

Not me.  I'm only human.

Anyway, one thing I didn’t give up is candy. It’s not much of a sacrifice for me because I don’t have a giant sweet tooth – I’ll take a potato chip over a chocolate chip any day.

But oh, how I love my Peeps.

I know they’re available all year now for every holiday, but those are imposters. It’s ONLY the Easter chicks that count. Not the bunnies, the chicks.  Yellow ones. And occasionally the pinks. But that’s it.  I'm a Peep purist.

I prefer mine stale so they’re nice and chewy, and I eat them face first, a sleeve at a time. Yum.

You may think you don’t like Peeps, but you’d be wrong. You may not like to eat them (and thanks for that, because it just means more marshmallows for me), but how could you not love to watch crazy Peep hijinks?

The Washington Post has elevated these seasonal sugary snacks to an art form by hosting a contest for the best Peeps diorama. It's become one of my favorite parts of the season.  So here are a dozen keepers from the past 5 years.

I dare you not to eat them up:


Peep Art

TSA Agents Get a Peep Show

Peeping Peeps
 

Goodnight Peep

Mrs. Peepcock in the Conservatory with the Revolver

The Peep Is Right

The Mupeep Show

Mommy Peepest

Peep-Busters

PeepTube

Super Peepio Brothers

A Peep Behind the Curtain
 
I'm thinking I should enter this contest next year.  Maybe I'll start on Monday.  And eat all my bad ideas.  Because the only thing that's better than a sleeve of stale Peeps, is a day-after-Easter, half-price sleeve of stale Peeps.
 
So, what kind of scene should I make?  I'm too hopped up on sugar to think straight...
 
 
tags: food, holidays

3 comments:

Blue Peep Fan said...

Happy Easter! Cute idea! You should do "The Real Housewives of New Peepsey".

Anonymous said...

These are awesome, who knew PEEPS could be such fun???

Jenny From The 'Brook said...

Blue: I love that idea! Maybe I'll reenact Theresa's table-flipping with Peeps.

Anon: Aren't they great? Check out the WP slideshows -- there are SO many good ones.