Archives by Year: 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021 | 2022 | 2023

6/23/2013

The Window Seat Is the Best Seat on the Plane

I've seen a lot of airports lately -- JFK, LaGuardia, O'Hare, DFW, Phoenix, Orlando -- and I've flown almost as many airlines. 

Most of them stink.

It's as though a bunch of execs piled in a room and brainstormed ways to squeeze every last ounce of fun out of air travel. 

Got a bag bigger than a lunchbox -- that'll be $25 to check it.  Oh, you wanted a seat that reclines?  That's $45.  And you'd like a fresh blanket that hasn't been recycled or covered with pee?  $10 please.

Even when you're flying cross-country, could they tack 75 cents onto the ticket price so they can toss you a "free" snack?

Nooooo.

Except glorious JetBlue. 

In my mind, they are the only airline that still cares that the plane ride is part of the journey, not the means to an end.  They still feed you snacks (as many as you'd like!) -- and I'm not talking 6 sweaty peanuts in a napkin.  Actual, brand-name, snack-sized snacks.

In fact, I got caught in one of those furlough disasters last month and they brought unlimited snacks and waters to the gate at JFK, where we were stuck for 8 hours while they sorted out who was on air traffic control in Chicago that day.  (I thought you were?  No, I thought YOU were!)

I had 3 bags of animal crackers.  It's the little things.

The cherry on top is that you can watch TV on all JetBlue flights.  Frankly, I could endure pretty much anything if I can watch TV while doing it.  Turbulence, my neighbor's bad breath, a screaming child kicking my seat?  Whatevs. 

I only have eyes for HGTV.

Regardless of the airline you fly, every bad flight can be made better when you're in the right seat.  Of course, the middle seat is ridiculous and should be outlawed.  But there's always controversy over whether the aisle or the window is better real estate. 

Let me clear this up:  The window seat is the best seat on the plane.

You can slide in there and never move.  Somebody has to go to the miniature rest room?  Not your problem.  Someone needs to throw out their trash?  Hand it to someone else.  Somebody's hogging the arm rest?  Go for it, you've got an armrest -- and a window -- all to yourself.

Sure, it's annoying when the lady next to you is all up in your space because she wants to look out your window (yes, Amelia Earhart, we're in the air -- get over it).  But isn't it worse when you're on the aisle and people keep hitting you in the shoulder with the beverage cart (most airline's last tie to civilization) and their butts?

Yes it is.

Am I right?  Of course I am.  But just for fun, where do YOU prefer to sit?  Vote below...



tags: pollstravel

1 comment:

Rog said...

Sorry, I'm always an aisle person, especially on long flights. I'd rather get up and let the person in the other two seats go to the head rather than monkey may way past them the other way around.

Given your choice Jen, I have to ask the Tyler Durden question "Now, a question of etiquette - as I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?"