Archives by Year: 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021 | 2022 | 2023

3/10/2022

The Last Time

The pandemic officially started two years ago for me, and I suspect for many of you as well. This was the night we decided to keep our teams home from work for 2 weeks to "flatten the curve." 

Who knew 2 weeks could become 2 years for some?

It's also the night I cancelled a flight to Florida to visit my parents.

Who knew we would be living here together now?

Lots of unexpected things have happened to all of us over the past 2 years -- some tragedies, some triumphs.  I think the history books (websites? holograms?) will look back at this time and people will be in awe of how we made it through.  

Kinda like how we look at The Plague or The Great Depression.

I remember buying this cookie at Kings, the grocery store in my building in Hoboken, on New Year's Day. It's like everything hopeful I was feeling about the dawn of a new decade was written in sugar and wrapped with curly ribbon. 

Placing this colorful cookie in my little green basket, I was blissfully unaware that the world was about to do a 180 -- and that 2020 would go down as one of the worst years ever.

Being home alone for months was awful.  Kevin McAllister made it look way more fun.

Fast forward to today. 

I'm fortunate to be back to work in an office doing a job I love, in a new state with my family. Life is quite different now, but better in many ways.  

There are days that I forget everything that happened these past few years. But on days like today, I find myself thinking about the things I loved to do -- travel, see friends, go to the movies, shop. All things that I haven't done in more than 2 years...


Jan 4, 2020 - My last leisurely trip to Target.
I think I spent an hour wandering around, buying things I really didn't need. Those were the days!


Feb 1, 2020 - My last work trip.
I traveled a lot.  Here we were in LA hosting an outdoor conference on women's health. We had fun.


Feb 21, 2020 - My last dinner with my childhood friends.
We went for Italian in Jersey, we laughed all night and shut the place down. Miss these girls.


Feb 22, 2020 - My last dinner with my college friends.
We were in Connecticut. More food, more laughs, more missing my girls.


Feb 29, 2020 - My last time in Chicago & last movie.
Leap Day! I visited my niece & nephew for his 8th birthday and we went to see Sonic. It was terrible but the company was great. Luckily I've seen these cuties in FL several times since this pic was taken, but dear Lord, let this not be the last movie I ever see in a theater.


Mar 4, 2020 - My last week in my midtown NYC office.
One of my good friends always made funny videos -- this is us in the elevator leaving work for the night, probably after 8pm. I miss her terribly too. I don't miss leaving work at that hour.



Here's hoping we all see the people and places we love again very soon!

No comments: