Archives by Year: 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021 | 2022 | 2023 | 2024

11/25/2023

Small Business Saturday

Back when I lived in Jersey, one of my favorite ways to spend a Saturday afternoon was to drive to Target in Edgewater and go shopping. 

Did I need anything? 

No, not really. 

But it was such fun to browse the aisles with my ridiculously large red cart and load up! Where else can you get throw pillows, fuzzy socks, light bulbs, a birthday card, Pop Tarts, Q-Tips and a Starbucks Venti Passion Fruit Shaken Iced Tea Lemonade in 5 minutes flat? 

Of course, we have a Target nearby in Florida too -- and another brand new one on the way -- but these days, I don't really have the time for freewheelin' with my giant cart. 

So I shop online. A lot. Like, a lot a lot. This isn't really new. I've been doing it for decades. Honestly, I'm like a silent online shopping ninja -- in and out before you even know I'm there.  

One time, I shopped on so many sites so fast, Amex called because they thought a THIEF had my  card.  

Hi, my name is Jen. I buy loads of silly things I don't need. Quickly.

I do try, though, to practice some conscious consumerism in my sprees. So I support small businesses. Or businesses that make their products in the US. Or brands run by women. Or brands that give back to their communities. Kinda like Target! (Kidding -- although they do do that.)

Now that the holiday season is upon us, I thought I'd spread some Christmas cheer to the many small businesses across the country that had the courage to start up.  After the past few years, they could probably use some extra revenue in their stockings.  

Over the past year or so, I've shopped on these sites -- 24 in all -- and I've loved the loot I got. So save Santa a trip and check off your nice list in your jingle jammies...

Or, buy a whole bunch of stuff for yourself. 

I won't judge.


Aviator Nation

- Founded: 2006 in CA by Paige Mycoskie 


- Style: 70s surfer


- What I Got: 5-Stripe Hoodie in Navy


- Fun Fact: I learned about this brand from my 14 year old niece



Draper James

- Founded: 2015 in TN by Reese Witherspoon 

- Style: Southern belle

- What I Got: Crewneck Sweater in Pink Colorblock, 2 Headbands & a Scrunchie (!!)

- Fun Fact: Named in honor of her grandparents, Dorothea Draper & William James Witherspoon


Faherty

- Founded: 2013 in NY by Alex & Mike Faherty


- Style: Beachy good vibes

- What I Got: Throwback Sweater Hoodie in Varsity Blues

- Fun Fact: They partner with Native American artists to make authentic designs that benefit their communities


Firstport

- Founded: 2020 in CT by Dillon Milardo

- Style: College-inspired vintage

- What I Got: Nantucket Rugby Crewneck in Dark Denim

- Fun Fact: This looks so authentic that people will ask you about the team when you wear it -- be ready with a good story



Homage

- Founded: 2007 in OH by Ryan Vesler

- Style: Vintage varsity

- What I Got: Retro Yankees & Giants Tees

- Fun Fact: Their "Chief T-shirt Officer" started this company in his parents' basement




Kiel James Patrick

- Founded: 2008 in RI by Kiel and Sarah Patrick (though I hear that's not their real last name)

- Style: New England Ivy League prep

- What I Got: Lakeside Crewneck in Navy & Newport Tennis Club Tee

- Fun Fact: They'e been together since they were teenagers and taught themselves to sew



Saint + Sofia

- Founded: 2020 in London by Malcolm and Dessi Bell

- Style: Brit chic

- What I Got: Cotton Biker Jacket in Navy Stripe

- Fun Fact: All their clothes are made from natural or recycled fabrics



Summersalt

- Founded: 2017 in MO by Lori Coulter and Reshma Chattaram Chamberlin


- Style: Classic athleisure

- What I Got: The Softest French Terry Quarter Zip Pullover in Santorini & Midnight and Pullover in Midnight & Slate

- Fun Fact: They got Insta-famous over a one-shoulder one-piece swimsuit sensation



Vineyard Vines

- Founded: 1998 in MA by Shep & Ian Murray

- Style: Beach casual

- What I Got: Flag Whale & Beach Fireworks Tees

- Fun Fact: The brothers' smiling whale logo is meant to inspire customers to live the good life



Vuori

- Founded: 2015 in CA by Joe Kudla

- Style: Coastal Cali

- What I Got: Performance Joggers in Blue Quartz & Charcoal Heather (I have Navy too)

- Fun Fact: These might be the most comfortable pants I've ever owned




Wooden Ships

- Founded: 1992 in Bali by Paola Buendía

- Style: Instagrammable sweaters

- What I Got: Customizable Jersey Sweater in Loden and Pure Snow

- Fun Fact: Each sweater is made to order




AllBirds

- Founded: 2014 in CA by Tim Brown

- Style: Eco-friendly flats

- What I Got: Tree Breezers in Hazy Cocoa and Thrive Yellow (I have about 6 pairs total)

- Fun Fact: These shoes hug your foot like a sock




Rothy's

- Founded: 2016 in CA by Stephen Hawthornthwaite and Roth Martin

- Style: Classic comfort

- What I Got: The Flat in Indigo Zebra and Orchid (I have at least a dozen pairs)

- Fun Fact: These shoes are washable, made from recycled water bottles and are super comfy



SeaVees

- Founded: 2008 in CA by Steven Tiller

- Style: Retro casual

- What I Got: Balboa Court Shoe in Kelly Green (This is my 3rd pair)

- Fun Fact: Originally owned by Converse, this brand was shelved for 40 years then brought back to life



Superga

- Founded: 1911 in Italy by Walter Martiny

- Style: Euro sport

- What I Got: Platform Sneaker in White

- Fun Fact: This footwear brand has been around for over a century




BaubleBar

- Founded: 2011 in NY by Amy Jain and Daniella Yacobovsky

- Style: Trendy bling

- What I Got: Snowflake Studs, Twinkle Trees and Blanche Earrings

- Fun Fact: This company started as a class project when they were at Harvard Business School



Charm It

- Founded: 2000 in NY by Renee Levy Klarreich

- Style: Girly nostalgia

- What I Got: "Gold" Chain Bracelet and a whole bunch of Charms

- Fun Fact: Another business that began in her parents' garage




Claire V.

- Founded: 2008 in CA by Clare Vivier

- Style: French chic

- What I Got: Flat Leather Stripe Clutch & Foldover Clutch

- Fun Fact: They have a resale marketplace for their own clothing & handbags




Ink + Alloy

- Founded: 2016 in GA by Gretchen Hollingsworth

- Style: Modern bohemian

- What I Got: 10 Strand Stretch Beaded Bracelets in Rainbow, Hot Pink, Red + Blue & Colorblock

- Fun Fact: Their founder designed for Whole Foods, Urban Outfitters, West Elm, Crate and Barrel and Target



Love Is Project

- Founded: 2012 in Kenya by Chrissie Lam and her mom, Gladys

- Style: Lovingly handmade

- What I Got: The Original Love Bracelet in Red as a gift, the red beads represent bravery, strength, and unity

- Fun Fact: Women in the Maasai tribe make these beaded bracelets



Marleylilly

- Founded: 2010 in SC by Kelly Owens

- Style: Personalized sorority

- What I Got: Monogrammed Nantucket Bracelet Set in Navy & Mixed Bead Bracelet Set in Multi

- Fun Fact: This company was started by a crafty college grad on a monogram machine she bought off Ebay



Tuckernuck

- Founded: 2012 in by sisters Jocelyn and Maddie with their college friend, September

- Style: Curated classics

- What I Got: Momogrammed Green Embroidered Tennis Racquet Boat Tote

- Fun Fact: The company is named for a small island off the coast of Nantucket




Beautyhabit

- Founded: 1996 in CA by Teresa Mitchell

- Style: Luxe beauty

- What I Got: Child Perfume Roll On

- Fun Fact: I discovered this scent on a business trip to LA and always get complements on how it smells




Thrive Causemetics

- Founded: 2014 in CA by Karissa Bodnar

- Style: Beauty with a conscience

- What I Got: Liquid Lash Extensions Mascara in Brynn (Black)

- Fun Fact: All their products are vegan and cruelty-free and this makes your lashes look amazing



Just for fun, here's few new shops that have caught my eye, and might show up under my tree...

Frank & Eileen

The Last Line

Mrs. Alice

Rowing Blazers


Happy shopping and happy ho-ho-holidays to you!


No comments: