Honestly, I think everyone looks about a decade younger than our parents did when they were our age.
But I will share my #1 beauty secret...
It's Snapchat filters!
Okaaaay. I kid! Mostly. I mean, they ARE magical and they do wonders for your self-esteem, amiright?
But seriously, my beauty routine is simple. And I've used many of the same products and brands since college.
And I've kept it pretty real with the whole aging thing. Nothing against anyone who turns back the hands of time with potions and procedures.
You do you!
But for me, what you see is what you get. My lips, lashes, hair, nails and all the rest are all natural. I even accept the lines on my forehead and the tiny wrinkles outside my eyes.
I DO draw the line at gray hairs, though. Those effers got to GO.
So, I pluck them.
Of course, I don't look (or feel) great every day -- but when I do, it's probably due to some combination of the stuff below. And maybe also happiness. And maybe genetics. And maybe the fact that I haven't been in the sun in, like, a decade.
Anyhoo, my go-to beauty products range from the corner drugstore to the fancy department stores. Read on for my faves and why I love them sooo much...
- Clinique blush in Aglow: I've been wearing this one for 20+ years and I love it.
- H&M kabuki blush brush: It's the only thing I've ever bought from that store that's lasted.
- NARS bronzer in Luster: For summer days when I'm feeling pale.
- Julep So Plush lip gloss in All the Feels: I buy these 3 at a time (they discontinued my original favorite, so I can't be too careful).
- Fresh Sugar lip treatment (original): The world's best lip balm, smooth & citrusy.
- Tweezerman: Legitimately the only tweezers worth owning. I like a bushy brow, but these keep me from looking like Frida Kahlo.
- NYX butter gloss in Fortune Cookie: A cheap drugstore find with just a hint of color. I like.
- NARS lip gloss in Sweet Revenge: A sheer pink that's not gloppy, which is a win in lip gloss.
- Bobbi Brown lip gloss in Buff 4: You can't go wrong with Bobbi, especially if you like a more natural look.
- Kat Von D tattoo liner in Trooper Black: If a pencil and a liquid liner had a baby, it would be this. Bonus: It fades to a smokey eye the next morning if you "forget" to wash it off.
- Dior Show waterproof mascara Lash Extension in Black & Iconic Overcurl in Over Black: I don't waste money on any other brand of mascara. I'm hooked on the whole line, but Overcurl is the best.
- Fekkai Brilliant Glossing shampoo & conditioner in Olive Oil: Smells. So. Good. And it last all day. You can even put your hair in a pony at night and the next day, it STILL smells good.
- Living Proof No Frizz Humidity Shield spray and Nourishing styling cream: This is worth the splurge, especially if your relationship with your hair is complicated, like mine.
- Pantene 2 in 1 Sheer Volume shampoo & conditioner: I think I've used Pantene since it was invented. We used to have jugs of it in our shower in college. And the 2 in 1 is still my fave esp when I'm running late for work and need to save time.
- Pantene Pro-V dry shampoo: When I REALLY need to save time and skip the hair wash entirely, this does the trick. Just spray the roots, give it a shake and you're good to go.
- Scunci large size hair elastics: I have a million hair accessories, but nothing holds my hair as well as a plain black elastic. (On a related note, can someone explain why Millennials now think they invented the scrunchie? Try again.)
- Neutrogena Anti-Residue shampoo: This is like a reset button for your hair. And it also smells clean.
- Dove Extra Hold hairspray: Not sticky, and still keeps its shape. What more could you want?
- Not Your Mother's Beach Babe sea salt spray: This Jersey girl loves her big hair, and this spray gives me a messy wave (in a good way). Like a day at the beach in a bottle!
Unpopular opinion: I absolutely hate professional manicures & pedicures, and do not find them relaxing in the slightest. But I love doing my own nails. And I'm SO happy that navy nail polish was invented. What a time to be alive! Here are my top 7 shades...
- Smith & Cult in 1972: I bought this because I was born in 73, and the rose gold shade looks good on everyone all year round.
- Revlon in Iconic: A classic brand with a charcoal twist, this is a beautiful dark neutral that's less severe than black.
- Sally Hansen Miracle Gel in Beatnik & Top Coat: My hands-down fave drugstore brand in a hot color.
- Zoya in Hunter: I get compliments every single time I wear this shade. This pic doesn't quite do it justice, but it's a great green.
- Deborah Lippman in Rolling in the Deep: Did I mention I love navy? This one is a goodie.
- Tom Ford in Bitter Bitch: I would wear this for the name alone, but it's also the perfect brownish burgundy.
- Julep in Jennifer (center): Need I say more? It's sheer perfection.
You might be sensing a trend here, but I don't have a whole skin regimen either. In fact, I just use soap, most nights I take my makeup off and occasionally I moisturize. That's about it. I don't mess with serums, night creams, exfoliators, masks, oils or toners. It's not that I don't need them. I probably do. It's that I am LAZY. Here's all that I have the energy to use...
- Child perfume: At least once a week someone tells me I smell good. It's all thanks to this baby. I'm SO picky about fragrance, but this one is a keeper. It's expensive, so I get the rollerball instead of the spray, that way I don't waste a single drop.
- Irish Spring soap: My college boyfriend used this soap and I grew to like it too. It's the only soap I use -- even on my face -- and I go back and forth between original and moisturizing.
- Vaseline Intensive Care moisturizer in Aloe: I find moisturizing annoying but this one smells good and I think it works fine.
- Neutrogena makeup wipes: Hands-down my favorite makeup remover.
There's nothing better than a genuine smile to make anyone beautiful. I wore braces for 4.5 years as a teenager, and most recently, I had a run-in with a root canal, but still, my smile is my favorite feature. I always just use the toothbrush and floss that my dentist gives me, but there are 2 products my teeth can't live without...
- Crest Pro Health Advanced toothpaste with gum protection: This toothpaste is delicious! It has little grains in it that scrub my teeth and my mouth feels fresher longer after brushing. Extra Gum Protection is really my fave, but that one is hard to find. So regular will have to do.
- Crest 3D White whitestrips in the gentle formula: I do this about once a year but the original formula irritates my gums. This one works too and doesn't hurt!
Well, for someone who claims to have a low-maintenance beauty routine, I somehow found 32 products I can't live without. Typical.
Did I hit on any of your favorites? Any I missed? Spill YOUR beauty secrets below...